Friday, April 18, 2014

Vegan snow day! That is, chili and biscuits for dinner.

Disclaimer: This post was written in January, hence the snow day. Just realized I never posted it!

I've stored away a recipe for vegan biscuits for a while, waiting for the perfect time to bake them up. Today is another snow day here in Virginia, and naturally calls for a cozy, hot dinner to match. I decided over the weekend I wanted to make chili again, so when we found out snow was on its way, I knew today was the day. The crockpot has been busy all afternoon, and I wanted to add a little something to the dish. Hubs and I love homemade biscuits, so it was obvious the vegan version had to be pulled!

First, the chili! This is ridiculously easy. So much so in fact, I hesitate to label it with a recipe since it's really based on your taste. For the sake of the blog, however, here's my version!

- One 12 oz.package of vegan beef crumbles
- One 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- One 15 oz. can of black beans
- One sliced and diced red pepper (Or whatever you have. I used frozen, since we had them on hand)
- 1.5-2 cups of tomato sauce/crushed tomatoes (I only had diced tomatoes, so I added some vegetable broth to break the chili down a bit)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Couple dashes of chili pepper
-Whatever else you like in your chili!

Directions? Throw it in the crockpot and walk away!

And now, the biscuits! As I said before, Hubby and I are really into homemade biscuits, so I was very hopeful this recipe would meet our standards. The recipe I found seemed legit, and the author was gung-ho that these were the best vegan biscuits ever.

The best damn vegan biscuits

Nope. Not everything is as wonderful as it seems. I didn't like the biscuits, but Hubby said they were OK. Kinda dry and grainy tasting. I was very disappointed after all the rave reviews. ::shrug:: Oh well. Can't win them all!



The chili was delish though a tad on the sweet side. Not sure if I liked all the sweetness; I might nix the brown sugar or add less next time. But it was still really good! I'll be looking for a different biscuit recipe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment