Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Years Eve pita pizzas!



Pita pizzas? Yeppos, you read right. Ken and I were on our own for New Years Eve, so we decided to crack open some wine and make appetizers for the evening. It was a lovely night, and I'm really excited to see where 2014 takes us! Graduation is around the corner, and I'm anxious to get this ride going and have the M.S. at the end of my name! I'll be anxious to see where we're sitting for New Years 2015. We shall see!

Back to food! These pita pizzas were exceedingly adorable and lusciously delectable. I found a vegan pita recipe, and decided with Hubby to make pita flatbreads for the pizza crusts.


The funny thing was, as the flatbreads cooked, they puffed up in the oven demonstrating their ability to serve as pita pockets if we so chose! So while we still went with the flatbreads for the pizza, we made a note that we have a zero need to buy pita pockets for falafel. We can make them in an hour at home, completely from scratch!

I'm ashamed to say I cannot remember nor find the recipe I used for the pita. It's not in my history, and I'm going to lose it if I don't find it!! I could have sworn it was from the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, so I will keep looking. I promise to find it and share; for my own sanity, too!

So pretend I inserted the recipe here: ______.
FYI: I cut the dough with a medium/large biscuit cutter so you get an idea of how small the pizzas were. They were definitely hand held versions, so you could call them pizzetes if you like.

Now, we move on to the fun toppings! We mixed and matched a whole bunch, and wow, each one was better than the next. (Please ignore our dirty baking pans. It just means we get a lot of use out of them, right?) We had an array of toppings: regular tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, caramelized onion, kalamata olives, sweet peppers, arugula, & pesto.




I assumed I would only be interested in the straight forward pizzas, but the ones with pesto sauce and caramelized onions might have been my fav! There are endless combos and you can easily nix the cheese or use vegan cheese if you so choose. What a fun treat these were to ring in the New Year! Ken and I agreed that if we are ever hosting a gathering, these will have to be on the appetizer menu. We are so meant to be party people; we love this cooking stuff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment