Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Veg Week 2014: Vegan blueberry mango muffins

 Another gem, people! As I prepped for my week of vegan-ness, I knew my usual granola and yogurt bars in the morning wouldn't cut it. I looked for a recipe that would give me a healthy start to the day, as well as a quick one that would use up the frozen fruit I keep on hand. I found these pups! I'm fairly certain I say this a lot, but wow! (I guess I would say 'wow' a lot if they've earned a place on my blog, huh? :) )

These were easy to make, which I'm a fan of. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the occasional sweat inducing recipe like a fresh pasta. I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of workout. These were the usual mixing of wet ingredients, mix the dry, and combine. This recipe called for mixed berries, frozen or fresh, and while I usually have mixed berries, my freezer was full of mango and blueberries. Hm! I had never considered this combo in a muffin, but I enjoyed the idea of tropical chunks in my morning. I love mango, so I was cautiously optimistic...

Well, the problem is now that I've had mangos in my muffins, it'll be hard to go back to anything else! I took the large chunks and diced them up into smaller bites of juiciness. I threw them into the batter with the blueberries, and they were ready to go! I don't use paper muffin cups because they get in the way while I eat. Instead, I (vegan) butter the tins like crazy and dump the batter directly in the cups with an ice cream scoop. Then end up popping out beautifully and with no wrapper to get in the way of their deliciousness!



Deeeeelicious they were! I have to say I took them out three minutes earlier than needed because the browning of the tops was perfect. I would definitely watch out for that in your own ovens. I was super happy with these muffins, and so was hubby who has taken one each morning to work as well! We ate these up in less than a week (only having made 12), so I learned quickly and made two dozen a day or so ago so they last a while longer. These are totally going to be made every two weeks and froze so we always have them on hand for breakfast. I can't go back to store bought granola bars. These are so scrumptiously moist with juicy bursts of mangos and blueberries. Just can't believe they're vegan! Again, they are easily frozen once out of the often and cooled. Take the ones you want to eat in the morning out before you go to bed, and they'll be ready to go in the morning!




To make these perfect vegan muffins, visit Baked Bree at: Vegan vanilla berry muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment