Monday, January 26, 2015

Cauliflower hot "wings"

I got out of work early for the snow, and Elphie
was ready and waiting for Mommy!
I've seen this recipe numerous times online, and I'm fairly certain I've pinned multiple versions.  Even when I ate meat ages ago, I wasn't a wing fan. However, this recipe was another potential appetizer for parties and such. Hubby and I were at Trader Joe's the other week, and I finally remembered to grab a head of cauliflower for this recipe. It's been sitting in the fridge for a week, and as we prepare for the snow storm to hit tonight into tomorrow, we were anxious to sit back, relax, and have some snackies!

This recipe was exceptionally simple. The key, I learned, is the dredge and baking the cauliflower at a high temperature to bake up/fry the "wings." I followed Evolve Vegan's recipe which you can find here: Cauliflower Wings. My review follows...






The soy milk wasn't enough to dredge the wings. That is, it wasn't thick enough. Next time, I'll make my own vegan buttermilk or use a creamer in order to thicken the dredging liquid. I also added salt and pepper to the soy milk.  I substituted whole wheat flour for the chickpea flour but used the same seasonings called for in the recipe. I found the wings baked up very nicely, though I can see how the chickpea flour may have been a better choice texture wise. The whole wheat flour very much baked up and cooked completely, but to me, it gave the wings a dry texture. Also, the seasoning wasn't strong enough for me! That could be because I didn't douse my wings in hot sauce like you're supposed to. I'm getting better with heat, but I'm not quite ready to drown my wings in hot sauce yet. I substituted vegan butter for soy milk in the sauce, as well. That being said, the hot sauce I did have added a punch of flavor, but I guess it wasn't enough to really spice up the wings. I was left feeling like the wings themselves were kinda bland.




Regardless of the above paragraph, we really did enjoy these wings and see the potential! I would spice up the dredge next time and thicken the liquid, but other than that, I think we are on to something in this house!


No comments:

Post a Comment