Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Scrambled chickpeas: what!?

Yuppers, full of doubt was I. You could call me Thomas. (Props to you who understand the biblical reference:) ) I saw the recipe over and over in my cookbook, Isa Does It, and I wasn't convinced chickpeas would suffice for breakfast. Stop right there, heinous thoughts! Why I ponder the legitimacy of Isa's recipes occasionally, I don't know. What I do know is I had to blog about this really easy, delectable recipe immediately! 

I'm home on a snow day, and I had a hankering for a "fun" breakfast. I pulled out my cookbooks and sifted through the options. A vegan I am, but having tofu on hand is not yet engrained in my mind. Scrambled tofu is delish; I had it back in VA a few times at a vegan-friendly restaurant, Bus Boys and Poets. You should go if you're ever in the Northern VA/DC area. I miss that place! 

So here was the scrambled chickpea recipe staring me down, and I finally gave in. I had extra tomatoes on hand, and now that we're members of BJ's, we always have a plethora of chickpeas in our pantry. Snow day + all ingredients on hand = scrambled chickpeas!






I don't usually enjoy being proved wrong. I'm a tad stubborn. Today I was proved wrong! Wow! These scrambled chickpeas were just spectacular and a tasty way to pack some protein into my morning before the gym. I followed the recipe to a T except for the turmeric seasoning. We don't have any which is surprising. Turmeric is another one of those spices I'm kinda "eh" about. It's another one of those curry-esque flavors to me, and bleh, I need those flavors few and far between. I saw we had Old Bay seasoning, and I became very excited. I thought Old Bay would be a fun alternate, and I was right! 


The key to this recipe is making sure you season well and keep the chickpeas somewhat moistened. My trick was to steam them with a couple TBS of water right before I was getting ready to eat. Here's the simplified recipe from Isa Does It!: 

-Caramelize one small, red onion, quartered and sliced thin. 
-Throw in two 8.5 oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
-Warm up chickpeas in the pan for a few minutes, then mash until ~ 2/3 of the chickpeas are soft/mashed. 
-Add in your spices, (TBS Old Bay, salt, pepper)
-Add 1 TBS oil, mix and let chickpeas alone to cook until slightly charred. 
-Push chickpeas to side, and add 1 tsp oil and 1-2 cloves of garlic minced to cook for 15 sec. Mix into chickpea mixture.
-Add 2 TBS lemon juice and a 1 TBS dill weed. Mix until thoroughly combined.
-Add 2 TBS of water and cover the pan to steam a bit. After a minute or two, serve on toast and with fresh tomato! 








I had to stop myself from throwing in more toast and eating the entire pan. Definitely a new breakfast fav! Thanks, Isa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment